I Need to Register a Death

Working out what to do first when someone dies can seem overwhelming. While it may be distressing to lose someone, it’s worth dealing with financial matters as soon as you can to prevent matters becoming overly complicated.


Please tell us as soon as possible that a member has died. You can do this by calling us on 020 3440 8390 or completing and emailing the Notification of Death Form at the bottom of this page.

When you call, you will need to tell us:

  • The member’s reference number or National Insurance number, full name and Date of birth

  • The date the member died

  • If the member was not receiving a surviving dependant’s pension from us, details of any spouse, civil partner or financially dependent individual

  • The name, address, telephone number (and email address if possible) of the nominated person who we can deal with in respect of the death – for example, spouse, solicitor or executor.


Once you have notified us of the death, we will stop any pensions currently in payment. Then we will write to the nominated person;

  • With the information required for tax purposes

  • To request the original death certificate

  • To provide any forms that need to be completed to claim any survivor’s benefits.

We will keep in touch with the nominated person until benefits, if any, are to be paid. Then we will normally deal directly with the beneficiaries, unless there are special circumstances.

If a pension was being paid to the member, the member is only due the payments up until the date they died. Payments made after this date will need to be paid back to the Scheme.


Your GP or your local religious or community group is often a good place to start looking for support in dealing with bereavement. There are also a number of organisations that offer support to help you deal with your grief:

You can find additional information about what to do when someone dies at:

Notification of Death Form

To tell us about a member who has died, it is best to call us so that we can let you know what information we'll need. However, if you prefer, you can download, complete and email the form below to contactus@thpa.co.uk instead and we'll get in touch.

Notification of Death Form